Are you a teacher, searching for some great perks that come with the job? Well, take a look at this list of the best teacher discounts available to staff in the UK.
Some of the best teacher discounts include:
- Technology from Apple
- Cashback from 70+ shops
- Mobile phone contracts
The Coronavirus taught us many things, some far more useful than others. I now know that people like to horde in a crisis which meant I came close to running out of toilet roll. I also learned that people have no idea when it comes to distances and can’t tell the difference between 2 meters and 2 inches.
But there were some important lessons to be learnt too – such as the vital role that key workers play, whether it be in a supermarket, hospital, warehouse or school. And as a father of three, I quickly realised how difficult it is to teach children. Anything.
That’s why I decided to search the internet and find some of the best discounts available to teachers.
Now, I don’t want to start on a negative vibe, but I’m surprised how few teacher discounts there are. Lots of companies seem to fall over themselves to offer NHS discounts, but no so much if you work in education. Still, when you dig a little deeper, you find that it’s not all bad.
As a thank you to teachers and school staff, Morrisons is offering a 10% discount on your shopping. All you need to do is show your school photo ID card at the till. The offer ends Sunday 3rd January 2021.
Terms and conditions
1. Open to UK residents aged 16 or over
2. Valid in store only
3. Not available online
4. Discount is not valid on Fuel, Spirits (England), All alcohol (Scotland and Wales), Tobacco, Lottery products, Gift Vouchers & Cards, Infant/Formula Milk, Cash-back, Dry Cleaning, Fireworks, Online Games & Instant Tickets, Photo Printing, Saver Stamps, Postage Stamps, ‘Top-Up’ Mobile Phone Cards, Garden Centre & Pharmacy.
5. Discount is not valid in Franchise stores – Morrisons Daily or Morrisons Select stores
6. Not valid in Gibraltar
7. It’s valid in a Morrisons run forecourt shop against products but NOT fuel
8. A valid school photo ID badge must be presented to claim the discount
9. The teacher must be present for the transaction to claim the discount. It can’t be passed to a friend or family member
10. Teachers’ discount is available to anyone who works in a primary or secondary school. This includes teachers, teaching assistants, office staff, catering staff and janitors, provided they are employed directly by the school and not a private company and they have an identification badge. It includes private schools and special schools.
11. Teachers’ discount isn’t available to staff from private nurseries, colleges, 6th form colleges or universities
12. Discount cannot be claimed retrospectively
13. The teachers’ discount cannot be used in conjunction with a Morrisons Staff Discount Card, Blue Light Card Discount or with the NHS Discount
14. It can be used with a Morrisons More card and any promotional coupons or Morrisons £5 vouchers
15. Valid from Monday 2nd November to Sunday 3rd January 2021.
16. The Promoter and reserves the right to modify or terminate this promotion if circumstances beyond its control make this necessary
17. Promoter Wm Morrisons Supermarket PLC, Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD3 7DL. Registered in England No 358949
The CSSC (Civil Service Sports Council) is a membership scheme open to public sector employees. Here you can find discounted gift cards for most of the major stores in the UK. But not only that, you can earn cashback, buy cheap cinema tickets, and find deals on great days out.
Not only that, you have access to a free Taste Card giving you money off at a host of restaurants and membership to English Heritage, which will give you and your family free entry to lots of historical sites across the UK.
There is a monthly fee, but at under £5 per month, the benefits should easily outweigh the costs.
Take a look at my full CSSC review. Plus, use my details to earn £10 when you join.
Apple discount from Unidays
Although many think that Unidays is just aimed at students, teachers and office staff also qualify. This is not a full account but known as a Unidays staff account. This allows you access to an Apple Education discount.
Apple education will give you various perks. At the moment, you can get free AirPods (worth £159) when you buy an iPad or iMac. You can also get 20% off Apple Care and one year free of Apple TV+. These offers change though, and sometimes it will just be a straight 10% off any product.
Excluding housing, the biggest cost for many of us is cars. And that’s why it’s important that we look for the best deal possible. Fortunately, there is a company called the Motor Source Group who could help you get a better price.
The Motor Source Group provides cars for Military, Police & Prison Service, NHS, Fire & Rescue, Public Sector and Teaching Professionals.
They offer discounts and deals on:
- New cars
- Used cars
- Lease cars
- Gap Insurance
How much you can save does depend on the car you would like. One of the best deals is a Nissan Qashqai 1.3 DIG-T 160 Tekna DCT Petrol Auto for £21,776 – a saving of £9,044!
Typical finance is around 6.9%. Around average for a major car dealer but you will get a better rate from your bank if you have a good credit rating.
Cashback with the Spree card
The Spree card is a debit card that needs to be loaded with money before you use it. Now, that may seem like a hassle, but you’ll earn cashback every time you shop at your favourite stores – up to 12% Then, when you next reload your card, the cashback is added.
The card will cost you £9.99 initially, but there are no fees afterwards. And you can manage and top-up your card by using the Spree app.
Current shops you can use the card include:
- Caffe Nero
- Five Guys
- John Lewis
and plenty more…
To join you will need to visit the Discount for Teachers website to register for the card.
Travel discounts with the International Teacher Identity Card
The International Teacher Identity Card (ITIC) is an ID card that claims to be recognised across the globe. It offers:
- Up to 40% off flights and 5% off travel insurance with STA Travel.
- Thousands of benefits worldwide on accommodation, all the way through to transport, with discounts on entertainment, food and travel too.
- Access to fantastic discounts at home and abroad.
- Proof of full-time teacher status wherever you are in the world.
To qualify, you will need to work at least 18 hours per week and have worked for at least one academic year. You will also need a letter from your local authority to prove your employment.
The virtual ITIC card will cost you £12 with an extra charge of £3 if you want a plastic version. Cards are valid for 12 months.
Some of the major companies on the site offering discounts for teachers are:
- National Express
- Hard Rock Cafe
- The Blackpool Tower
Advice and discounts with the National Education Union
Unions get a bad press, but I think there’s still a strong need for them in the workplace. Not only do they help you with employment issues, but many also come with a lot of extra benefits. The National Education Union (NEU) is one of the larger teacher unions and provides:
- Legal advice
- Pension advice
- Pay advice
- Free insurance
- Discounted will writing service
- Access to Edenred
If you haven’t heard of Edenred before, it will give you access to lots of benefits, with the best one being discounted gift cards. These can be used in most major stores and restaurants and can give you anything between 2-15% off. You can find money off at:
- New Look
- Sports Direct
And over 70 more.
How much you have to pay for membership depends on your role in education. At the moment, annual subscriptions range from £20 up to £220.
There are various codes that fly about for Hilton Hotels for specific teacher discounts, but these are subject to change. However, if you follow this link, it will take you straight to a discounted booking page.
But… when I looked at prices for staying at Hilton, I found that the room charges through that link were sometimes more expensive compared to going through a comparison site.
Check with your local council
Because many teachers are employed by their local council, they may qualify for some extra benefits. This could be discounted membership to clubs, cheaper cinema tickets or money off gift cards. Unfortunately, all councils operate differently, so I am unable to list each one.
But because you work for the public sector, you should be able to find a good discount on mobile phone contracts.
- 25% discount on 3GB and above Airtime Plans (data, minutes and texts).
- 15% discount on 1GB and above Airtime Plans (data, minutes and texts).
Discounts can only be applied to new plans and must be claimed within 28 days of starting.
Save 15% on your monthly bill – this can be applied to current customers. You need to be aware that there is a £10 fee when you join this scheme and it is applied to your first bill.
If your council has signed up to EE Perk, then you will receive 20% off your line rental.
Discounts on Dancewear and shoes
Ok, so this quite a niche discount. But if you are into dance or a member of your family is, then you can get 20% off at Capezio. And yes, this is specifically aimed at teachers.
As you can see, there are very few discounts offered directly to teachers. However, there are plenty of opportunities to find some great deals through other membership schemes.
If you know of any good deal I have missed, then please let me know in the comments below.
And why not take a look at saving money through cashback sites? These are another easy way to save when sh
Do teachers get a discount for Amazon Prime?
Unfortunately not. The Prime reduced membership prices are for students only. If you have never been a member before, you could try a free 30-day trial.
Do teachers get a discount at Currys?
Not directly. You will need to join one of the participating schemes above and buy a discounted gift card.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links.