CSSC Sports & Leisure claim to promote a better lifestyle for its members, but more importantly, gives you discount across a number of services.
You may not have heard of them, but the CSSC has been in existence since 1921 and has over 120,000 members. They positively promote individual health and well-being and organise hundreds of events and activities every year. It’s not just sports, but you can take part in all kinds of events from shopping days out to theatre trips. Plus, they provide savings on hundreds of local and national offers, family days out, dining, gym membership and much more.
Who can join the CSSC?
- Public Sector employees or pensioners, including civil servants, local government, the NHS, teachers, police, fire fighters and HM Armed Forces personnel.
- Employees of former Public Sector departments, such as BT and Royal Mail.
- Click here for a full list of Eligible Employers
- Also, up to three of your friends and family (18 years and over) can join with you through our ‘linked membership’ scheme.
- Linked Members will pay the membership fee (appropriate to their circumstances by Direct Debit) and have the same membership rights
- If you have previously been a CSSC member, you are eligible to re-join. If you are taking redundancy, early retirement or leaving for any other reason, you can retain your CSSC membership, regardless of where else you work, as long as you pay direct to CSSC
How much does it cost?
- Membership cost £47.40 per year
- Subscriptions via Salary £3.95 per month
- Retired Membership cost £42.66 per year
- Via pension £3.56 per month
- Monthly – £3.95
- Quarterly – £11.85
- Annually – £47.40
- Monthly – £3.56
- Quarterly – £10.68
- Annually – £42.66
Any good discounts?
My favourite has to be the English Heritage Corporate Membership. Present your CSSC membership card to any English Heritage site, and you, another adult and up to six children gain free entry. This could be a saving of over £50 with every visit. Here is a list of all the sites available.
You can also find money off days out to a lot of theme parks across the UK. Discounts aren’t massive, but you can typically save around £5-6 per ticket from places like Legoland and Thorpe Park.
There are also discounted cinema tickets available from all the major chains, although the savings aren’t massive.
If you’re a fitness fanatic, you can find discounts at over 3000 gyms across the UK. Take a look at participating gyms. Some gyms (such as Bannatyne’s) allow you to reduce your monthly payment, even if you are in the middle of a contract.
Through CSSC, you can join My Savings +. This gives you discounts at lots of retailers. It works in a similar fashion to cashback sites such as TopCashback and Quidco. Although the My Savings + savings generally aren’t as good.
However, one great feature offered is their reloadable cards. My Savings + will send you a gift card which you can load money on to. Every time you add money to the card, you receive cashback. For example, load an Argos card and you receive 10% back. When you shop at Argos, you use your reloadable card instead of your debit/credit card. Amazon, Halfords, B&Q, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Clarks, Currys and many others offer anything from 3% up to 15% cashback. This can add up to a great discount.
As a CSSC member, you qualify for a free digital Tastecard which can set you back up to £80 per year if you were to buy it separately. The Tastecard gives you either 50% off or 2 for 1 on meals at over 6,500 restaurants across the UK. Chains include Pizza Hut, Frankie and Benny’s, ASK, Zizzi and many more.
Is it worth the subscription?
Yes. Whether you eat out often, have days out with the family, you’re a fitness fanatic or you want to save money on your shopping, there’s plenty to here to cover the cost of under £4 per month.
There’s also plenty of activities and trips organised by the CSSC if you’re interested in the social side.
If you qualify to join CSSC, why not take a look at a free alternative with the Blue Light Card.
And if you have to wear a uniform to work, see how you can claim some tax back for free.
You can find out more from the CSSC by visiting their website.