You’ve probably got two questions. When is the Sainsbury’s Nectar Double Up event for 2020 and how do I make the most of it? Well, scroll on to find the latest news, how you claim your vouchers and how you could change them into cash.
What is the Nectar Double Up event?
It’s exactly as it sounds. The points that you have earned on your Nectar card can be exchanged for Double Up vouchers at Sainsbury’s for just one week. So £50 worth of points will be worth £100. This is something you don’t want to miss and well worth saving your points for.
How much are my Nectar points worth?
If you’re not sure how much you have to spend, your Nectar points are worth the following:
- 1 Nectar point = 0.5p
- 2 Nectar points = 1p
- 100 Nectar points = 50p
- 500 Nectar points = £2.50
- 1000 Nectar points = £5.00
However, during the double up event they increase to:
- 1 Nectar point = 1p
- 2 Nectar points = 2p
- 100 Nectar points = £1
- 500 Nectar points = £5.00
- 1000 Nectar points = £10.00
Nectar Points Calculator
If you’re still unsure of your points value, then enter how many you have into the handy calculator below.
When is the next Double Up event?
The 2020 event hasn’t been announced yet. For the last 2 years, the Sainsbury’s Nectar Double Up events have taken place in October and November, so expect similar timings for 2020.
Usually, you will be allowed to convert your points over 2 weeks in October and then be able to spend them during a period in November.
The only issue is whether the coronavirus will have an impact on whether the event takes place or not. In August 2020, the 25% off clothing offer was cancelled at short notice. So, fingers crossed that the Double Up carries on.
How often do Sainsbury’s double up Nectar points?
Sainsbury’s run the Double Up event once per year, usually around October and November. Up until 2017, it was held twice per year, in Spring and Autumn.
How does Sainsbury’s Double Up work?
You’ll be pleased to know that no longer do you need to spend your time queuing at the customer service desk to receive your vouchers. Nope, instead, you can order them online – either through the Nectar website or the app if you have it installed on your phone.
All you need to do is:
- Choose where you would like to spend your Nectar points in selected categories at Sainsbury’s
- Exchange your points for vouchers in multiples of £10 up to a maximum of £100. If you fancy the old-fashioned paper vouchers, you can order these online and they will be mailed out to you.
- Alternatively, you can get a digital voucher straight to your phone. You can do this any time through the Nectar app.
- Spend your voucher in store.
But be warned…
- The vouchers have a short expiry date. Don’t order them if you don’t plan to spend.
- If you lose the voucher, you won’t get a replacement.
- You won’t earn Nectar points when you make purchases using the vouchers.
What can I use my Nectar Double Up vouchers for?
There are seven departments where you can spend your vouchers:
- Tu Clothing
- Entertainment (including Gaming)
- Taste the Difference: Wine, Champagne, Sparkling, Sherry & Port
Unfortunately, you cannot spend it on groceries. But who goes to Sainsbury’s for food shopping anyway? Neither can you exchange for fuel.
Can you use Nectar Double Up online?
Unfortunately, you can only order your vouchers online. All spending has to be made within a Sainsbury’s store.
Can I use the Double Up vouchers at Argos?
Although you can spend Nectar points in Argos, you can’t use your Double Up vouchers there. This seems strange as they both belong to the same company and you’ll find many Sainsbury’s stores have a small Argos inside. You don’t even earn Nectar points when shopping at Argos… Hopefully, this will change soon.
Do Nectar points expire?
If you’re a Tesco Clubcard holder, you’re probably aware that your points expire if they are not used. Fortunately, your Nectar points will never expire. The only way to lose them is if you close your account or the Nectar scheme was to close down. So, if you don’t have many Nectar this year, why not wait till the next Double Up event?
How do I make the most of Sainsbury’s Nectar Double Up event?
This is a great time to reduce the cost of your Christmas spend. If you have children in the family, you could use your Double Up vouchers on toys, CDs or video games.
Alternatively, take a look at the seasonal aisle and pick up some decorations or snacky bits for the big day itself. Or why not put it towards some Champagne?
Moving away from Christmas, if you have children of school age, TU offers a great range of school clothes which are reasonably priced. Even if your kids don’t need clothes now, you could always buy the next size up.
Nothing you want? How about cash?
If there’s still nothing you want, don’t let the opportunity go to waste. This is an easy chance to double the value of your points which doesn’t come around very often. Take a look at using your points to buy something, and then sell it online.
Last year at the Double Up event, I bought two video games priced at £50 each at a cost of £50 in Nectar points. I then sold both games on eBay for £42 and £45. After fees and postage, this made me a total of £75.
So, I traded £50 of Nectar vouchers for £75 in cash!
If you’re looking to do this, then I suggest you buy any of the top five chart games for the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. These always sell well online, and usually for only a few pounds less than the Sainsbury’s price. You will probably get a better price if you sell on eBay, however, you will have to pay fees to both eBay and PayPal. Facebook Marketplace is a decent alternative, and although you might not sell for quite so much, there aren’t any fees.
And don’t forget to check your online Nectar account regularly. There are always offers available which can boost your points over the year.
Where else can you spend Nectar points?
If you can’t wait until the next Double Up event or there’s nothing at Sainsbury’s that catches your eye, where else can you spend your hard-earned points?
- eBay – 500 points are worth £2.50 (you will need to link your eBay and Nectar accounts).
- Argos – in store, you will need to show your Nectar card. Online, you will need to add your Nectar card at checkout.
- London North Eastern Railway – claim a voucher code through the Nectar website.
- Dulux Decorator Centre – you will need to spend a minimum of 4000 points and order via phone (0344 811 0811).
- Eurostar – 2000 points (minimum spend) are worth £10. You will need to order a voucher code through the Nectar site.
- Caffe Nero – order a QR code through the Nectar site and store it on your phone (or computer). Then show the code when you order.
- Vue – just present your Nectar card at the cinema and tell them how many points you want to use (multiples of 500 only).
- Sky Store – own or rent the latest blockbusters without having to be a Sky customer. 1050 Nectar points will give you £5.99 to spend, up to 2,800 points for £15.99.
If my Sainsbury’s Nectar Double Up event for 2020 has interested you, why not take a look at ways of earning extra Nectar points?
Click on the buttons below to install the Nectar app if you haven’t already done so.